The second thing we do at each practice is a Toughness Drill. We rotate each drill, doing one per day.
* War Rebounding
* Loose Ball Smack Down
* 2 On 2 Rack Up Rebounding
* Iron Man
We want to fast break at every opportunity. We look for fast break opportunities after ever steal and rebound but also after our opponent scores.
* 2 Pushers, 2 Runners, 1 Trailer
* Runners get to the nearest sideline in 3 steps or less and hug the sideline all the way to the corners.
* 1 Pusher gets the ball (either on the turnover or on the outlet). The opposite Pusher gets to the opposite sideline, delays, and hugs the sideline until they reach the volleyball line. Then, they gradually step to the 45 (free throw line extended).
* The Trailer trails the play unless she is ahead of the ball when the possession is secured - then, she sprints to the rim. As the Trailer, she follows the play and spots up at the top of the key.
RULES ON 3-POINTERS
* Threes must be uncontested
* Threes must be in range
* Threes must be in rhythm
* Threes are never taken off one pass unless that pass is coming from the paint (off a drive & kick or post and kick). The only exception is if the Trailer is left uncontested at the top of the key.
PROGRESSIONS (Break After A Make):
The Pusher with the ball must look for the quick scoring opportunity in the following order. If one option is not there, she progresses to the next option, etc. If she has gone through all five progressions without a fast break scoring opportunity, we play through the trailer and immediately Flow into our half court offense.
1) Rack It (Pusher takes it all the way to the basket)
2) Cross The Street - Next Pass (Pusher passes weak side to the opposite Pusher who either drives to the basket if the defender doesn't close out on her, or (if the defender does close out on her) makes the Next Pass to the Runner in the corner for the open three.
3) Cross the Street - Boomerang (Pusher makes a skip pass to the Runner in the weak side corner who either drives the baseline (if the defender doesn't close out on her, or (if the defender does close out on her) makes the Boomerang pass back to the ball side Pusher for the open three.
4) Trailer (Pusher reverses the ball to the Trailer at the top of the key). If the Trailer is left uncontested, she can take the three (uncontested, in range, in rhythm). Otherwise, we Flow straight into our half-court offense.
OUR DRILLS FOR BASIC TRANSITION OFFENSE
We rotate the first three of these transition drills, doing one per day. We do Pioneer Shooting every day.
* Michigan State
* Pioneer Shooting
OUR DRILLS FOR THE PIONEER BREAK
We rotate these three Pioneer Break drills, doing one per day.
* 5 on 0 Options
* 5 in 35
* 5 on 2, 3, 4